Wednesday, July 06, 2005

My Very Own Engrish!



Over the weekend I went shopping with my friend Kathy, who was in search of misc. Chinese goodies to fill an apothecary cabinet. So we headed to the apothecary at Viet-Wah, where I discovered my very own Engrish!

Here it is: Patch Remouing Pill. If whatever's inside helps me never to look like the model on the box - I'm in! (Is she dead?)

Alas, this little treasure was the only real Engrish we found in the store, but there were still plenty of good things to show you. Like, for example, these lovely "Ball Decorative Streamers", shown here by Kathy. The package says they're for cars. Nice.
DSC02400-1.JPG

And don't let the decorative streamers fool you. This was an apothecary after all, so there were plenty of tinctures, tonics, salves, pills, etc. to please/cure/heal anything. Here are just a few of the interesting things we found...
DSC02405-1.JPG

Cnv0007.jpg

DSC02401-1.JPG

DSC02410-1.JPG

Cnv0012.jpg

DSC02404-1.JPG

Cnv0008.jpg

Cnv0013.jpg

Essence of chicken in a variety of combinations. What exactly is "cordyceps"? Anyone? Anyone?



And here we have sheep placenta. Superior Quality sheep placenta.





Sheep Placenta not good enough for you? Try Lamb Placenta II. I don't know what it does, but the girl on the box is very pretty.




Hey, ladies, why not try some Crocodile(TM) for Women? It's an ideal food supplement. Again, I'm not sure what it does, but if the box is to be believed...




Apparently crocodile is not only good for helping you get busy but also helps those with asthma - at least the bile part, anyway. Who knew?




And let's not forget deer. There were loads of deer products. Like in capsule form...




And CANDY! (yum!)




This is the fanciest ear pick I've ever seen. In fact it's the only ear pick I've ever seen!


Kathy and I had a blast and all you villagers out there will be happy to know that I got oodles of fun things to stick inside my RAOK packages, bookmarks, Sea of Yarn, etc...

4 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

Toooooooooo funny!

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Todays Health and Science lesson is being brought to you by the Letter K.......Cordecyps - can we say Chinese caterpillar fungus kids! Its a shroom that grows on caterpillars in China - supposedly the next Ginko due to its amazing libido enhancers and athletic simulators, also prevent lung infection and treats asthma! All from something that sprouts from the head of dead caterpillars...yummmm sign me up for some!

Sounds like you had an interesting trip, I have to say that as sweet as you are, we just could not expect you to share your haul from the apothecary! We feel honored enough to say we know someone that has seen an actual ear pick!!!!

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Celeste said...

Kimberly - I KNEW someone would answer the cordyceps question and I suspected it would probably be you! Go girl!

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger emy said...

Ok, cordecyps is supposed to be taken for those who are weak or overworked and need some brain food.

The "brands" brand is a safe bet.

The crocodile thing - believe it, I had the crocodile soup quite often when I was young as it is to help get rid of the asthma.

~ Emy who is a Singaporean Chinese and had a Beijing job posting 2.5 years long

 

Post a Comment

<< Home